One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person or their behavior) governed by external circumstances and trends.‘post-war sociologists who saw American society as full of other-directed men’
- ‘High self-monitors, for example, are more other-directed than low self-monitors, meaning that high self-monitors tend to be more susceptible to pressure from other people.’
- ‘This source of motivation tends to be externally based when the student is primarily other-directed and seeking affirmation of traits, competencies, and values.’
- ‘Beethoven managed to put an end to this noble tradition by inaugurating a barbaric U-turn away from an other-directed music to an inward-directed, narcissistic focus on the composer himself and his own tortured soul.’
- ‘Interestingly, while the former quality is other-directed and the latter is self-directed, their concurrence appears convincing if underpinned by cheerfulness - an emotion that serves both the self and others.’
- ‘Both were other-directed in the behavior and inner-directed in their rather fierce determination to see a very particular policy become law.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.