Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minute aquatic crustacean of the class "Ostracoda"
- ‘Adult land-locked fish eat mostly zooplankton, especially larger varieties such as copepods, cladocerans, mysids, and ostracods.’
- ‘This lower interval has already been analysed for pollen, diatoms, ostracods, and gastropods.’
- ‘Recent evidence suggests that the compound eyes of myodocopid ostracods may be phylogentically non-homologous to those of other arthropods.’
- ‘Interestingly, the only ostracods with compound eyes are mostly very active swimmers; many are scavengers or predators.’
- ‘Rare ostracods (microscopic crustaceans) support the mollusc evidence, with species typical of small or seasonal water bodies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.