One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An artificial opening in an organ of the body, created during an operation such as a colostomy, ileostomy, or gastrostomy; a stoma.
- ‘Creation of an ostomy can be a lifesaving experience for a patient.’
- ‘Choose a position for sexual intercourse that protects your ostomy.’
- ‘The patient must be able to see and reach the site to manage the ostomy.’
- ‘Have you undergone surgery that included the creation of an ostomy?’
- ‘In time, you will gain confidence in managing your ostomy during sexual activity.’
1950s: from colostomy, ileostomy, etc..
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.