One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A branch of medical practice that emphasizes the treatment of medical disorders through the manipulation and massage of the bones, joints, and muscles.
- ‘Chiropractic and osteopathy are two medical disciplines involving bodily manipulation that have fought long and hard for respectability within the health care system.’
- ‘Fundamental to osteopathy is the recognition of the body's inherent ability to restore homeostasis.’
- ‘At present, only two therapies - osteopathy and chiropody - have a regulatory umbrella body, established by the government.’
- ‘A medical history professor, Whorton follows the rise of alternative medicine such as chiropractic, osteopathy, homeopathy and naturopathy from 1800 to today.’
- ‘Mario-Paul is well established as a practitioner and teacher in osteopathy, bodywork, clinical massage and sports therapy.’
- ‘Doctors of osteopathy (osteopath or D.O.) undergo training that is largely the same as that of conventional doctors, but with additional training and emphasis on using manipulation.’
- ‘Unlike medicine, nursing and osteopathy, there is no statutory regulation of homeopaths.’
- ‘In fact he helped pave the way for the full acceptance of osteopathy and the establishment of manual/musculoskeletal medicine.’
- ‘Two disciplines, osteopathy and chiropractic, have moved along the path of self regulation and now have acts of parliament that protect their titles and provide additional external and orthodox regulation of their activities.’
- ‘From memory, some of the techniques used in yogic massage are reminiscent of osteopathy in the way that finger pressure is used around joints.’
- ‘I'd already had five sessions of bone-crunching osteopathy, and despite the gruesome sounds that were wrought from my skeletal frame it had had good short-term results.’
- ‘Painkillers can help get you back on your feet and your GP can also refer you for physiotherapy or another form of manipulation, such as osteopathy or chiropractic.’
- ‘Indeed, all of the massage therapists at Solo are qualified in physiology, naturopathy, osteopathy and the other areas of massage.’
- ‘But chiropractic and osteopathy came top as therapies which yielded the greatest health improvements when it came to back and neck problems.’
- ‘Cranialsacral therapy developed from cranial osteopathy, which was founded by Andrew Taylor Still and dates back to the 1890s.’
- ‘But if you want to get rid of your headache today and stop it returning tomorrow and the day after, osteopathy could be the answer.’
- ‘Apart from ‘diet and supplements’, one of the most effective treatments reported by chronic fatigue sufferers is osteopathy.’
- ‘Most people appreciate that a good massage can soothe aching muscles and gentle spinal adjustment is a pillar of traditional osteopathy.’
- ‘Unlike osteopathy, craniosacral therapy is gentle, which makes it an ideal, non-invasive treatment for troubled babies and children.’
- ‘Chiropractic and osteopathy are both manipulation-based therapies used for treating problems associated with bones, joints and the back.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.