Degeneration of joint cartilage and the underlying bone, most common from middle age onward. It causes pain and stiffness, especially in the hip, knee, and thumb joints.Compare with rheumatoid arthritis
- ‘Some time later I was asked to see a nun who had mild rheumatoid arthritis and well advanced osteoarthritis of both hips.’
- ‘But they do know that osteoarthritis is more common as you get older or if you are very overweight.’
- ‘Both of these regimens have been clearly shown to improve pain and disability in osteoarthritis of the knee.’
- ‘Knee osteoarthritis is a common but often difficult problem to manage in primary care.’
- ‘A worn joint due to osteoarthritis often causes pain in the groin area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.