One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pass by or as if by osmosis.
drain, filter, percolate, filtrate, discharge, strain, leak, separateView synonyms
- ‘Generally the baddies followed you through the tunnels that you dug, but sometimes they'd just osmose through the dirt straight at you, causing much panic.’
- ‘Fenn provides romantic interest as the stripper who seems to osmose into Marilyn Monroe at one point.’
- ‘Partly because this is Found Music from adulthood, not evocative Music osmosed from childhood.’
- ‘It didn't make you wet - it blindly ignored your clothes, especially the waterproof ones, and osmosed directly through your skin into your flesh.’
- ‘The negative and positive ions from the sea osmose into a chilled and flowing album that reflects the soothing power of the big outdoors.’
Mid 19th century (as a noun in the sense ‘osmosis’): from the element common to endosmose and exosmose.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.