Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pass by or as if by osmosis.
drain, filter, percolate, filtrate, discharge, strain, leak, separateView synonyms
- ‘Partly because this is Found Music from adulthood, not evocative Music osmosed from childhood.’
- ‘It didn't make you wet - it blindly ignored your clothes, especially the waterproof ones, and osmosed directly through your skin into your flesh.’
- ‘Generally the baddies followed you through the tunnels that you dug, but sometimes they'd just osmose through the dirt straight at you, causing much panic.’
- ‘The negative and positive ions from the sea osmose into a chilled and flowing album that reflects the soothing power of the big outdoors.’
- ‘Fenn provides romantic interest as the stripper who seems to osmose into Marilyn Monroe at one point.’
Mid 19th century (as a noun in the sense osmosis): from the element common to endosmose and exosmose.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.