The maintenance of constant osmotic pressure in the fluids of an organism by the control of water and salt concentrations.
- ‘In spite of these facts, little is known about the ionic mechanisms of osmoregulation in higher plant cells, and the data are controversial at times.’
- ‘Several studies have confirmed the importance of this channel for osmoregulation of the bacterial cell.’
- ‘Individual cells can prevent water rushing into them by osmoregulation.’
- ‘Sugars are proposed to stabilize membranes, protect proteins, and contribute to cellular osmoregulation during stress.’
- ‘To understand osmoregulation of organisms in the real world, then, we must remember that organisms are more than bags of interesting molecules or vehicles for sets of genes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.