Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The maintenance of constant osmotic pressure in the fluids of an organism by the control of water and salt concentrations.
- ‘Individual cells can prevent water rushing into them by osmoregulation.’
- ‘To understand osmoregulation of organisms in the real world, then, we must remember that organisms are more than bags of interesting molecules or vehicles for sets of genes.’
- ‘Several studies have confirmed the importance of this channel for osmoregulation of the bacterial cell.’
- ‘In spite of these facts, little is known about the ionic mechanisms of osmoregulation in higher plant cells, and the data are controversial at times.’
- ‘Sugars are proposed to stabilize membranes, protect proteins, and contribute to cellular osmoregulation during stress.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.