Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The concentration of a solution expressed as the total number of solute particles per liter.
- ‘Total osmolarity, and final pH of all solutions, was always verified to ensure consistency.’
- ‘Because osmolarity of urine is affected by osmolyte load in the diet the decreased osmolarity of the urine may have resulted from the decreased in food intake.’
- ‘Supraoptimal concentrations were inhibitory, probably because of the excessive osmolarity of the incubation medium.’
- ‘In these osmotic experiments pressure P was varied using a sucrose solution of defined osmolarity.’
- ‘We measured effects of dietary secondary compounds on voluntary water consumption, urine volume and urine osmolarity.’
1950s: blend of osmotic (see osmosis) and molar, + -ity.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.