One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The concentration of a solution expressed as the total number of solute particles per liter.
- ‘Total osmolarity, and final pH of all solutions, was always verified to ensure consistency.’
- ‘We measured effects of dietary secondary compounds on voluntary water consumption, urine volume and urine osmolarity.’
- ‘Because osmolarity of urine is affected by osmolyte load in the diet the decreased osmolarity of the urine may have resulted from the decreased in food intake.’
- ‘In these osmotic experiments pressure P was varied using a sucrose solution of defined osmolarity.’
- ‘Supraoptimal concentrations were inhibitory, probably because of the excessive osmolarity of the incubation medium.’
1950s: blend of osmotic (see osmosis) and molar, + -ity.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.