One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for viewing oscillations, as of electrical voltage or current, by a display on the screen of a cathode ray tube.
- ‘In single-channel experiments, the membrane current was monitored with an oscilloscope and recorded on a chart recorder for data analysis by hand.’
- ‘During testing, the current was continuously monitored on an oscilloscope positioned adjacent to the testing chamber, thereby allowing constant observation of the animals as well.’
- ‘The voltage will produce a waveform on the oscilloscope.’
- ‘In the past couple of years, oscilloscopes have sailed through the gigahertz barrier.’
- ‘It is important to understand the fundamental difference between real-time oscilloscopes and sampling oscilloscopes.’
- ‘Special test patterns are designed for use with instrumentation such as color analyzers, photometers, waveform monitors, and oscilloscopes.’
- ‘This varying current can then be used to activate a meter or oscilloscope or, after suitable processing, make an audio tape or some such permanent record.’
- ‘Single-channel current fluctuations were displayed on an oscilloscope and recorded on Digital Audio Tape.’
- ‘He typed in a command on the keyboard, and the playback fed into the oscilloscope's fluorescent cathode-ray screen.’
- ‘The amplified signal was monitored with a storage oscilloscope and recorded with a tape recorder or a strip chart recorder.’
- ‘The service man, say, uses an oscilloscope to measure electric voltages in more or less arbitrary parts of the surface of a non-functioning TV set.’
- ‘A new method for correcting common timing errors in high-speed oscilloscopes has been developed by researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology.’
- ‘The square pulses were monitored displaying the signal in an oscilloscope.’
- ‘The screenshot was taken while looping pattern five, so you can see the activity of the individual instruments in the oscilloscopes at the upper right.’
- ‘The output signals from the signal conditioner were also displayed on a digital oscilloscope for online evaluation.’
- ‘On an oscilloscope, standard alternating current power looks like a wave with peaks and valleys occurring 60 times a second.’
- ‘An external trigger is provided for analogue signal analysis using an oscilloscope.’
- ‘The signal was isolated from the excitation laser beam with a glass filter and a pinhole, detected by a photomultiplier tube, and recorded by a digital oscilloscope.’
- ‘One member of the radio society even has a major collection of cathode ray oscilloscopes, which he displays along one complete wall in his home.’
- ‘‘We now troubleshoot them manually using voltage meters and oscilloscopes,’ he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.