One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of several species of antelopes native to arid regions of Africa and Asia, having dark markings on the face and long, pointed horns.
- ‘On a private game reserve, Intu Afrika, the acacia trees hide giraffes, oryx (a large, straight-horned antelope), eland and ostriches.’
- ‘This small but spectacular reserve gives visitors a dramatic taste of northern Kenya and its unique dry-country animals: oryx, gerenuk, reticulated giraffe and rare Grevy's zebra.’
- ‘Afterwards, I sit on my terrace and watch what may be kudus, springboks or oryxes amble to the water hole.’
- ‘The trail isn't supposed to be a wildlife safari, but we sight many kudu, oryx, baboons and mountain zebra, and a huge Kori Bustard taking to the air.’
- ‘In that same year, the last Syrian desert ostrich died, steeling a Rooseveltian determination to prevent other endangered species like the oryx and the Nubian ibex from meeting the same fate.’
- ‘The Sultan of Oman, for instance, has worked with the World Wildlife Fund to successfully reintroduce the native oryx (an antelope that had disappeared from the wild in the 1970s).’
- ‘The land, previously part of the grounds of Aras an Uachtaráin, gives a more natural habitat to giraffes, rhinos, hippos, oryx and zebras.’
- ‘The Turkana helped identify the best cabin spots for viewing sunrises over the water and for spotting the occasional oryx or gazelle.’
- ‘The Arabian house will be home to the scymitar oryx, a medium sized antelope with long curved horns believed to be extinct in the wild, and other desert dwellers.’
- ‘And then a wild array of plain animals: wildebeest, zebra, eland, hartebeest, oryx, reedbuck, giraffe, Thompson gazelle, and many more of the same genre.’
- ‘Visitors to Fota can also see a two-week-old zebra foal on the grassland this summer, as well as a week-old oryx antelope calf.’
- ‘Towards the west end of the zoo were a number of large paddocks, home to zebras, deer, horned oryx and Przewalski wild horses.’
- ‘Zoos from around the world will contribute either female oryxes or oryx sperm to create the widest-possible genetic mix.’
- ‘His animals were the pig, the donkey, the hippopotamus, and the desert oryx.’
- ‘Its game species include elephants, springbok, kudu, oryx, ostrich, and numerous endemic species of birds.’
- ‘On a wall, alongside the head of an oryx shot by her husband in the Kalahari desert, is a second world war bazooka - a present from a friend with a curious sense of humour.’
- ‘Kamuniak first hit the news in January after adopting its first oryx calf, escorting and protecting it around the reserve for 15 days before a male lion attacked and killed the baby oryx while the lioness was sleeping.’
- ‘They watched out for lions, cheetahs and a particular favourite, the oryx, the African antelope with its wonderful horns.’
- ‘The once nearly extinct white oryx, an antelope, has been successfully reintroduced into the wild in Oman.’
- ‘One of our oryx - an endangered breed of North African antelope - is lame and the vet recommends a deeper bed and medication.’
Late Middle English: via Latin from Greek orux ‘stonemason's pickax’ (because of its pointed horns).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.