One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characteristic of the writings of George Orwell, especially with reference to his dystopian account of a future totalitarian state in Nineteen Eighty-Four.‘a frightening view of an Orwellian future’
- ‘Has the country gone crazy and turned into an Orwellian nightmare of big brother with added national socialism and publicly supported witch hunts?’
- ‘Some content providers seem to have ambitions that are more appropriate for some Orwellian dystopia.’
- ‘However, besides being far too Orwellian, such a scheme would be a monster to control.’
- ‘But unless you have no objections to Orwellian doublespeak, you must recognize that this is a robbery gone wrong.’
- ‘The USA Patriot Act is a giant step toward that Orwellian world awaiting us in the future.’
- ‘The Japanese anime director, Mamoru Oshii, uses a Polish cast to convey the alienation of his Orwellian vision.’
- ‘They also documented the expanding threat of coercive governance as a critique of this Orwellian age.’
- ‘That you praise a doctored photo as being more truthful than words strikes me as particularly ironic, if not Orwellian.’
- ‘Certainly, we'll see some Orwellian legislation enacted, but once sanity returns, it'll be something else.’
- ‘They have concealed their radical agenda from the American public using Orwellian rhetoric.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.