One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of medicine that deals with the provision and use of artificial devices such as splints and braces.
- ‘Since 1999, he has been an independent consultant in prosthetics and orthotics and therefore may have a consulting relationship with any of the companies mentioned in this article.’
- ‘All these new experiences, all these new words; orthotics, podiatry, pronation, pedometer, the joys of sports psychology.’
- ‘This week he collected his Doctorate of Philosophy from Salford University, where he is a lecturer in prosthetics and orthotics.’
- ‘Since he never patented the mask, other orthotics specialists are free to make their own versions; James, for example, was fitted at a Cleveland hospital.’
- ‘Surgeons may choose from a variety of surgical procedures to remedy the deformity when nonsurgical treatments, such as orthotics, bracing, casting, and physical therapy, have failed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.