Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An obsession with eating foods that one considers healthy.
- ‘There are a variety of subspecies of the illness, including one called orthorexia, so-called health food junkies.’
- ‘What holds most women back from the brink of full-on orthorexia is the fear of becoming obsessive and losing all their friends.’
- ‘Having seen Chris's friend Shazzie on telly last night, I'd just like to link once more to Bratman's seminal article on orthorexia.’
- ‘The diet was just another form of orthorexia, and it would surprise me if Ronald McDonald himself wouldn't have told the film-maker it was a stupid idea before he started.’
- ‘I don't know about orthorexia, but it's great having an excuse for being fussy.’
- 1.1A medical condition in which the sufferer systematically avoids specific foods in the belief that they are harmful.
- ‘Although many experts believe orthorexia nervosa may be a genuine concern, some think it's not a clinically useful diagnosis.’
- ‘Bigorexia, orthorexia, non-purgative bulimia - is there no end to the illnesses you can catch from trying to eat healthily?’
- ‘‘We had phone calls when Bratman's book was published from people who were concerned,’ he says. ‘The issues he raises are real, and calling it orthorexia nervosa gained him interest, but it is a made-up name.’’
- ‘While orthorexia nervosa isn't yet a formal medical condition, many doctors do feel that it explains an important and growing health phenomenon.’
- ‘The latest eating disorder is known as orthorexia nervosa, an obsessive eating of pure foods in the quest for improved health.’
1990s: from ortho- + Greek orexia, appetite after anorexia.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.