Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to a group of insect orders that are related to the grasshoppers and crickets, including also the stoneflies, stick insects, earwigs, cockroaches, mantises, and termites.
- ‘An ovipositor may have produced the short posterior medial projection, or terminal imprint if it were long, but given that an orthopteroid producer is unlikely, the terminal imprint was probably produced by a tail spine.’
- ‘We searched for effects of diflubenzuron treatment on numbers and diversity of two groups of litter arthropods-spiders (Araneae) and orthopteroid insects.’
- ‘While it seems likely that these "orthopteroid" groups are fairly closely related to each other, exactly how they are related is not fully understood.’
- ‘Scientists group cockroaches, praying mantids, grasshoppers, crickets, katydids, stick insects and some other insects together as orthopteroid insects.’
- ‘A new interpretation of the forewing venation pattern of the Archaeorthoptera Béthoux and NeI, 2002 (‘orthopteroid’ insects including Orthoptera) was proposed by Béthoux and NeI, and then emended by Béthoux et al. and Béthoux and NeI.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.