Any of a set of viruses pathological in humans and animals that includes the cowpox, smallpox, and monkeypox viruses.
- ‘Guidelines for vaccination of laboratory personnel who directly handle orthopoxviruses have not changed.’
- ‘Smallpox is an orthopoxvirus, was certified as eradicated in 1980, and no longer occurs naturally.’
- ‘The patient had fever, malaise, and night sweats… A serum sample from the child was positive for orthopoxvirus antibodies on neutralization assay and competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.’
- ‘The disease is caused by Monkeypox virus, which belongs to the orthopoxvirus group of viruses.’
- ‘Ray R Arthur, project leader, viral haemorrhagic fevers, arbovirus and orthopoxvirus infections, global alert and response.’