One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a set of viruses pathological in humans and animals that includes the cowpox, smallpox, and monkeypox viruses.
- ‘The patient had fever, malaise, and night sweats… A serum sample from the child was positive for orthopoxvirus antibodies on neutralization assay and competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.’
- ‘Guidelines for vaccination of laboratory personnel who directly handle orthopoxviruses have not changed.’
- ‘The disease is caused by Monkeypox virus, which belongs to the orthopoxvirus group of viruses.’
- ‘Ray R Arthur, project leader, viral haemorrhagic fevers, arbovirus and orthopoxvirus infections, global alert and response.’
- ‘Smallpox is an orthopoxvirus, was certified as eradicated in 1980, and no longer occurs naturally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.