Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The correct or accepted pronunciation of words.
diction, elocution, manner of speaking, articulation, enunciation, pronunciationView synonyms
- ‘Some letters and combinations of letters depend in their orthoepy upon the etymology of the word.’
- ‘The name of the organization created to further Basic, the Orthological Institute, echoes such terms as orthodoxy, orthography, and orthoepy.’
- ‘According to Herodian - the ancient authority on orthoepy - the word should be pronounced as proparoxytone.’
- 1.1The study of correct or accepted pronunciation.
- ‘THE spoken word comes to the ear. It is a sound, and can be studied. The branch of knowledge that tells us all about it, is called orthoepy.’
- ‘In addition to the subjects of Reading and Orthoepy, English. Grammar, English Literature, British History and Canadian History.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek orthoepeia correct speech from orthos right or straight + epos, epe- word.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.