One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The correct or accepted pronunciation of words.
diction, elocution, manner of speaking, articulation, enunciation, pronunciationView synonyms
- ‘The name of the organization created to further Basic, the Orthological Institute, echoes such terms as orthodoxy, orthography, and orthoepy.’
- ‘According to Herodian - the ancient authority on orthoepy - the word should be pronounced as proparoxytone.’
- ‘Some letters and combinations of letters depend in their orthoepy upon the etymology of the word.’
- 1.1 The study of correct or accepted pronunciation.
- ‘THE spoken word comes to the ear. It is a sound, and can be studied. The branch of knowledge that tells us all about it, is called orthoepy.’
- ‘In addition to the subjects of Reading and Orthoepy, English. Grammar, English Literature, British History and Canadian History.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek orthoepeia ‘correct speech’, from orthos ‘right or straight’ + epos, epe- ‘word’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.