One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an impulse) traveling in the normal direction in a nerve fiber.The opposite of antidromic
- ‘An orthodromic impulse runs along an axon in its normal direction, away from the soma.’
- ‘Orthodromic tachycardia is the most common arrhythmia in patients with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.’
- ‘However, a simultaneous comparison of both antidromic and orthodromic methods on the 4th digit has not been documented.’
- ‘A 55-year-old woman with a history of recurrent orthodromic AV-nodal re-entry tachycardia was admitted for electrophysiologic evaluation.’
- ‘Sensory nerve-conduction velocities in the median and ulnar nerves were assessed with the orthodromic method.’
1940s: from ortho- ‘right, correct’ + Greek dromos ‘running’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.