Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of black-and-white photographic film) sensitive to all visible light except red. Orthochromatic film can therefore be handled in red light in the darkroom but does not produce black-and-white tones that correspond very closely to the colors seen by the eye.Often contrasted with panchromatic
- ‘As plates and films became more sensitive (orthochromatic emulsions are sensitive to green as well as blue light), ruby safelight filters became necessary, but the old manipulation techniques could still be utilized.’
- ‘Orthochromatic photography refers to an emulsion that is sensitive to only blue and green light, and thus can be processed with a red safelight.’
- ‘I use traditional panchromatic films for the interpositive and an orthochromatic film for the final enlarged negative.’
- ‘Even the orthochromatic films were not sensitive to red light.’
- ‘Orthochromatic film was only sensitive to the brightest natural light.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.