One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part of the pharynx that lies between the soft palate and the hyoid bone.
- ‘In addition to the vallate and fungiform papillae of the tongue, taste buds are found in the soft palate, oropharynx, and epiglottis.’
- ‘Patients then develop a maculopapular rash on the face, forearms, and mucous membranes of the oropharynx.’
- ‘Employees reported exposure to a green mist that was irritating to their eyes, nose, oropharynx, and lungs.’
- ‘Changes in the mucosa of the oropharynx, including dry cracked lips or strawberry tongue’
- ‘Pollutant-caused cancers are predominantly attributable to the use of tobacco products, and involve the lung, oropharynx, larynx, bladder, and kidney.’
Late 19th century: formed irregularly from Latin os, -or ‘mouth’ + pharynx.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.