One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who studies or is an expert on birds.
- ‘With long hours at the museum and regular forays into the countryside, he eventually established a reputation as one of America's premier ornithologists.’
- ‘I was going to help my cousin, an ornithologist working for the Saudi government, to catch and ring birds.’
- ‘Ornithologists estimate that anywhere from 1 to 4 million birds visit the basin on their way to or from their summer breeding and nesting grounds.’
- ‘Soon a few amateur ornithologists from the civil services visited the islands and collected specimens.’
- ‘According to many ornithologists it is the most widespread land bird on the planet, found on every continent except Antarctica.’
- ‘Likewise, ornithologists studying neotropical migrant populations historically have focused much of their attention in the temperate zones.’
- ‘Meanwhile ornithologists and environmentalists are examining captive breeding.’
- ‘He was a keen ornithologist, a passion which helped him cope with his ferocious workload.’
- ‘Ornithologists say there's no good way to estimate the worldwide bird population.’
- ‘It is also an ornithologists' paradise and is host to over 400 species of birds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.