One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting herbivorous dinosaurs of an order distinguished by having a pelvic structure resembling that of birds.Compare with saurischian
- ‘The main reason is the lack of good specimens; theropod remains are fairly rare and more often than not fragmentary - theropods have a poor fossil record compared to most of the ornithischian dinosaurs.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the much smaller ornithischian dinosaurs - the ornithopods and stegosaurs - browsed on the undergrowth.’
- ‘The University of California Museum of Paleontology is proud to present displays of ornithischian dinosaurs.’
- ‘The only definite ornithischian materials known from this unit are the fragmentary holotype specimens of Tatisaurus and Bienosaurus and some indeterminate postcranial material.’
- ‘The williams Fork Formation preserves a diverse dinosaur fauna containing at least nine saurischian and five ornithischian species.’
An ornithischian dinosaur.
- ‘The evidence of nesting and parental care in ornithischian, sauropod, and theropod dinosaurs is extensive.’
- ‘The reasons for the extreme rarity of ornithischians in the Lower Jurassic of China are unclear at present.’
- ‘Ceratopsians were ornithischians, or ‘bird-hipped’ dinosaurs.’
- ‘A number of interesting structural adaptations were developed within the ornithischians.’
- ‘The thyreophorans are the armored ornithischians: the stegosaurs and ankylosaurs.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Ornithiscia, from Greek ornis, ornith- ‘bird’ + iskhion ‘hip joint’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.