Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An Old World bird related to the starlings that feeds on fruit and insects, the male typically having bright yellow and black plumage.
- ‘Shade plantations also provide homes to seasonal migrants like warblers, orioles, tanagers, and hummingbirds.’
- ‘The buntings, orioles, hummingbirds, and many other warblers have yet to arrive.’
- ‘Despite brilliant colouring, orioles are often difficult to see slipping through the foliage where sun, shade and trembling leaves create a broken pattern of black and yellow - perfect for hiding from prying eyes.’
- ‘First up was a bright yellow, black headed oriole which was given a new ring, as it had none.’
- ‘If you want to lure woodpeckers, hummingbirds, or orioles to your yard, invest in specialized feeders.’
2A New World bird of the American blackbird family, with black and orange or yellow plumage.
- ‘Although I have tried every year to attract orioles to orange halves placed in a container meant just for that purpose, I've not met with success.’
- ‘I see evidence of nesting by fox squirrels, blue jays, American robins, and Baltimore orioles.’
- ‘The oriole families then commence the perilous journey to tropical Africa running the gauntlet of the trappers en route.’
- ‘Omland, Lanyon, and Fritz also found that it was important to sample more than one individual to accurately infer species relationships in New World orioles.’
- ‘I can't prove it, but I presume that this is the same family of hooded orioles that visits our neighborhood each year.’
Late 18th century: from medieval Latin oriolus (in Old French oriol), from Latin aureolus, diminutive of aureus golden from aurum gold.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.