One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Japanese art of folding paper into decorative shapes and figures.
- ‘I fold or draw paper in a similar style to origami.’
- ‘In Japanese culture, origami is a helpful way to teach the principles of geometry.’
- ‘Cut various size circles from origami or craft papers and attach with double-sided tape or craft spray adhesive.’
- ‘There are many red origami paper cranes littered about the stage floor and around the chairs.’
- ‘They are folded so similar to the way the origami paper is folded.’
- ‘Around 100 pupils from Liden Primary School learned the art of origami during a visit from Swindon's Japanese liaison group.’
- ‘Small guitar figures unfold like origami sculptures gradually returning to virgin paper…’
- ‘You can also put those fingers to work alongside the Konnichiwa Japan club which will be demonstrating the ancient art of origami paper folding.’
- ‘If we now do a bit of origami, taking a sheet of A1 paper and then folding it in half (along its longest side), we get A2 paper.’
- ‘In addition, there were wives' classes on everything from oil painting to origami and more.’
- ‘Others deploy stylised forms of that peculiarly Western origami, the paper dart.’
- ‘First, choose an interesting story and plan ways to illustrate story events, using origami folds.’
- ‘There will be free workshops all day in everything from screenprinting to origami, and a fun fair will be held outside.’
- ‘Wal was still doing his paper crane origami and Reese never stopped on teasing me.’
- ‘Akira Yoshizawa, origami artist and Japanese National Living Treasure, died last week at 94.’
- ‘Dustin watched expectantly as Mr. Hall did nothing but bend down, pick up the paper origami, and throw it into the recycle bin.’
- ‘The Papertree also sells origami paper, as does Michaels, which is located on Westmount Rd., in the same plaza as Philthy's.’
- ‘Topics ranged from the golden mean, spirals, and tessellations to fractals, origami, and impressionist art.’
- ‘The intricate art of origami has nothing on how some of these little beauties grow, looking like crazily choreographed sea coral in their chilled humidifiers.’
- ‘Each of the seven tracks is an elegant construction reminiscent of a perfectly folded origami sculpture.’
Japanese, from oru, -ori ‘fold’ + kami ‘paper’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.