One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A southwestern Asian poppy with coarse, deeply cut, hairy leaves and large scarlet flowers with a black mark at the base of each petal, widely grown as a garden perennial.
Papaver orientale, family Papaveraceae
- ‘I treasure its early bloom and sweet-smelling, semi-double white flowers, as delicate and translucent as oriental poppies.’
- ‘The first is that you have been strong-minded enough to cut back the early herbaceous plants such as oriental poppies, delphiniums, geraniums and lupins.’
- ‘The oriental poppies we grow today are hybrids between two or three species from Turkey, the Caucasus and Iran.’
- ‘The packet described this as a perennial oriental poppy, more compact than normal and suitable for a small garden.’
- ‘They make good planting companions to the likes of climbing roses or border plants such as campanulas and oriental poppies.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.