One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Denoting synthetic organic compounds containing phosphorus, especially pesticides and nerve gases of this kind.
- ‘Curare, botulinum toxin, and organophosphorus insecticides each interfere with neural transmission.’
- ‘There is no evidence of which I am aware to associate exposure to organophosphorus compounds, including nerve agents, with asthma.’
- ‘In developing countries, poisons consumed are commonly toxins such as organophosphorus compounds and aluminium phosphide, and thus mortality is high.’
- ‘Most modern synthetic organophosphorus compounds are tailor-made to inhibit acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme essential for life in humans and other animal species.’
- ‘Most of them belong to the carbamate, nicotinoid and organophosphorus families.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.