One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any organic compound whose molecule contains one or more phosphate ester groups, especially a pesticide of this kind.
- ‘Each year organophosphates poison thousands of humans throughout the world, causing hundreds of deaths.’
- ‘Exposure to some pesticides, particularly the organophosphates, destroys important enzymes in the nervous system.’
- ‘The symptoms of poisoning by organophosphates progress through several stages.’
- ‘David Johnson, a neuropsychologist with the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh, believes sperm can be genetically damaged by organophosphates.’
- ‘Organophosphates are also used in the most common types of chemical weapons.’
- ‘At no time did Mr Stoker experience symptoms consistent with acute poisoning with organophosphates.’
- ‘Organophosphates act like a nerve gas, paralyzing the nervous system of the flea.’
- ‘Evidence is emerging that children may be particularly vulnerable to the effects of organophosphates.’
- ‘Blain described central and peripheral nervous system effects associated with low-level exposures to organophosphates.’
- ‘Scientists from Manchester University studied an enzyme found in blood which is responsible for breaking down an organophosphate used in sheep dip.’
- ‘She remains convinced the cause was organophosphates in sheep dip.’
- ‘I am aware that this is a legal action to do with organophosphates in sheep dip.’
- ‘Like a good many other people I still believe that organophosphates have a lot to answer for.’
- ‘It works on the nervous system in a similar way to organophosphates.’
- ‘In 5 patients the compound ingested could not be identified but was probably an organophosphate.’
- ‘I just want to describe, when we talk about nerve agents, we are specifically talking about a special compound known as organophosphates.’
- ‘I believe the leaking of organophosphates out into the wider community must lie with the farmers.’
- ‘A case in point is organophosphates, infamous for their devastating effects on the central nervous system.’
- ‘The Edinburgh-based Institute of Occupational Medicine has reported nerve damage among farm workers exposed to organophosphates.’
- ‘Regarding organophosphates, the only difference found was in Hungary, where the percentage use was higher.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.