Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any organic compound whose molecule contains one or more phosphate ester groups, especially a pesticide of this kind.
- ‘David Johnson, a neuropsychologist with the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh, believes sperm can be genetically damaged by organophosphates.’
- ‘Evidence is emerging that children may be particularly vulnerable to the effects of organophosphates.’
- ‘I am aware that this is a legal action to do with organophosphates in sheep dip.’
- ‘The symptoms of poisoning by organophosphates progress through several stages.’
- ‘Exposure to some pesticides, particularly the organophosphates, destroys important enzymes in the nervous system.’
- ‘In 5 patients the compound ingested could not be identified but was probably an organophosphate.’
- ‘Scientists from Manchester University studied an enzyme found in blood which is responsible for breaking down an organophosphate used in sheep dip.’
- ‘A case in point is organophosphates, infamous for their devastating effects on the central nervous system.’
- ‘She remains convinced the cause was organophosphates in sheep dip.’
- ‘Organophosphates act like a nerve gas, paralyzing the nervous system of the flea.’
- ‘Like a good many other people I still believe that organophosphates have a lot to answer for.’
- ‘At no time did Mr Stoker experience symptoms consistent with acute poisoning with organophosphates.’
- ‘Regarding organophosphates, the only difference found was in Hungary, where the percentage use was higher.’
- ‘I just want to describe, when we talk about nerve agents, we are specifically talking about a special compound known as organophosphates.’
- ‘I believe the leaking of organophosphates out into the wider community must lie with the farmers.’
- ‘It works on the nervous system in a similar way to organophosphates.’
- ‘Organophosphates are also used in the most common types of chemical weapons.’
- ‘The Edinburgh-based Institute of Occupational Medicine has reported nerve damage among farm workers exposed to organophosphates.’
- ‘Each year organophosphates poison thousands of humans throughout the world, causing hundreds of deaths.’
- ‘Blain described central and peripheral nervous system effects associated with low-level exposures to organophosphates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.