Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[often as modifier] Any of a large group of pesticides and other synthetic organic compounds with chlorinated aromatic molecules.
- ‘Public outcry resulted in the banning of the organochlorines DDT, BHC and lindane in 1978.’
- ‘Metals and organochlorine compounds were analyzed by the Quebec Toxicology Center, Quebec City, Canada.’
- ‘For the scientifically-minded: A perchlorate molecule is an organochlorine and has the chemical formula ClO4 -, four oxygen atoms surrounding a chlorine atom.’
- ‘They are urging farmers to rid their farms of de-registered chemicals such as DDT, Dieldrin and persistent organochlorine pesticides.’
- ‘However, fish contain environmental toxins such as mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, and organochlorine pesticides, which may negate the beneficial cardiovascular effects of fish meals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.