One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A graphic representation of the structure of an organization showing the relationships of the positions or jobs within it.
- ‘This isn't some linear organization chart I'm talking about here.’
- ‘He handed her an empty organization chart and told her to start filling it.’
- ‘The organization chart may show you have one boss.’
- ‘For over a month I had tried to get the organization chart altered to reflect the fact that the policy group had over half a dozen people working on it, many with Ph.D.'s.’
- ‘There's a gaping hole in our organisation chart between them and the section of senior management responsible for the area.’
- ‘We hear that the Japanese manufacturer will operate structural changes again and at least one of the above five people will be dropped from the organisation chart.’
- ‘But this is a function of policy and the priority officials place on their agencies cooperating with each other, not how boxes are arranged on an organization chart.’
- ‘I emailed her after just finishing an organisation chart.’
- ‘We examined such archival information as organization charts, company brochures, formal new product development procedures, project planning documents, and project information.’
- ‘An organization chart, which shows organizational, command, and supervisory chains, should be included in the submission because it addresses command and control and operating relationships.’
- ‘At the top of the organization chart stands your manager.’
- ‘Leaders have to make sure that the guy at the bottom of the organization chart gets it.’
- ‘The first hint of this came in a famous 1967 study of British civil service workers, which found that, within a given office mortality rates would increase, step by step, as one moved down the organization chart.’
- ‘The alternative to having an organization chart often is to stumble along with confused and disgruntled people.’
- ‘On an organization chart he reports to a board, but on the firing line he oversees the corporation with unquestioned efficiency.’
- ‘According to the bank's organization chart, the president reports to the board, which retains all authority to make decisions.’
- ‘The meeting's agenda was simple enough: map out an organization chart.’
- ‘One, you do not improve an organization by moving around the boxes on an organization chart.’
- ‘I've always had a relatively flat organization chart, with six or seven people reporting directly to me.’
- ‘The main reason is because the purpose of an organization chart is precisely to map out areas of management responsibility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.