Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of organized or specialized structures within a living cell.
- ‘Mitochondria are highly dynamic organelles undergoing rapid movement within the cell.’
- ‘Although the many organelles within the cell are enclosed by membranes, they are highly dynamic, and many are in constant communication with each other.’
- ‘Scattered throughout the plasma in cells are organelles called mitochondria.’
- ‘The cytoplasm contained organelles, including endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria.’
- ‘Cilia and flagella are cell organelles for motility and are conserved among a variety of eukaryotic organisms.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin organella, diminutive of organum ‘instrument, tool’ (see organ).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.