Any of a number of organized or specialized structures within a living cell.
- ‘Cilia and flagella are cell organelles for motility and are conserved among a variety of eukaryotic organisms.’
- ‘Mitochondria are highly dynamic organelles undergoing rapid movement within the cell.’
- ‘Scattered throughout the plasma in cells are organelles called mitochondria.’
- ‘The cytoplasm contained organelles, including endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria.’
- ‘Although the many organelles within the cell are enclosed by membranes, they are highly dynamic, and many are in constant communication with each other.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin organella, diminutive of organum instrument, tool (see organ).