Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of two hormones (orexin-A or orexin-B) produced by the mammalian hypothalamus and functional in the regulation of appetite and sleep.Also called hypocretin
- ‘For example, physical activity increased in rats when injected with orexin, a brain chemical associated with sexual arousal.’
- ‘Human narcolepsy generally stems from a shortage of the neurons, which produce the excitatory neurotransmitter known both as hypocretin and orexin.’
- ‘Orexin A is a promising candidate to become a "sleep replacement" drug.’
- ‘The lateral hypothalamus contains cells that secrete a protein neurotransmitter called ‘orexin’ or ‘hypocretin.’’
- ‘Orexin neurons are exclusively localized in the lateral hypothalamic area and project their fibers to the entire central nervous system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.