One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two hormones (orexin-A or orexin-B) produced by the mammalian hypothalamus and functional in the regulation of appetite and sleep.Also called hypocretin
- ‘For example, physical activity increased in rats when injected with orexin, a brain chemical associated with sexual arousal.’
- ‘The lateral hypothalamus contains cells that secrete a protein neurotransmitter called ‘orexin’ or ‘hypocretin.’’
- ‘Human narcolepsy generally stems from a shortage of the neurons, which produce the excitatory neurotransmitter known both as hypocretin and orexin.’
- ‘Orexin neurons are exclusively localized in the lateral hypothalamic area and project their fibers to the entire central nervous system.’
- ‘Orexin A is a promising candidate to become a "sleep replacement" drug.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.