One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two hormones (orexin-A or orexin-B) produced by the mammalian hypothalamus and functional in the regulation of appetite and sleep.Also called hypocretin
- ‘Human narcolepsy generally stems from a shortage of the neurons, which produce the excitatory neurotransmitter known both as hypocretin and orexin.’
- ‘The lateral hypothalamus contains cells that secrete a protein neurotransmitter called ‘orexin’ or ‘hypocretin.’’
- ‘For example, physical activity increased in rats when injected with orexin, a brain chemical associated with sexual arousal.’
- ‘Orexin A is a promising candidate to become a "sleep replacement" drug.’
- ‘Orexin neurons are exclusively localized in the lateral hypothalamic area and project their fibers to the entire central nervous system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.