One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen shrub of the western coastal US bearing yellow flowers and edible blue berries.
Mahonia aquifolium, family Berberidaceae
- ‘Berberine, a constituent of herbs such as goldenseal, barberry, and Oregon grape, has broad-spectrum antibiotic activity.’
- ‘Where I live, native plants such as vine maple, Oregon grape, and salal flourish in the natural landscape, and I say, great, let them flourish there, but keep them out of my garden.’
- ‘There are several species and varieties of garden-worthy mahonias, including ground-covering species like M. repens and M.aquifolium, the Oregon grape.’
- ‘Several Mahonia species bear the name Oregon grape, and others are associated with Mexico or the south-west of the USA.’
- ‘Palmatine is a constituent of many of these plants, which include goldthread, yellow root, Oregon grape, celandine, and barberry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.