Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An aromatic plant related to marjoram, with leaves that are used fresh or dried as a culinary herb.→ marjoram
- ‘My favorite herbs to grow are basil, oregano, lemon balm, parsley and mint.’
- ‘Avoid whole herbs with woody or rigid stems, such as oregano, sage, rosemary, tarragon, or marjoram.’
- ‘Plant seedlings of basil, chives, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme.’
- ‘Dry spices are fine too, including garlic, paprika, basil, rosemary and oregano.’
- ‘Add the onion, garlic, leek, gingerroot, lemongrass, thyme, oregano, and lime leaf.’
- ‘Try more flavourings such as curry, fresh lemon juice, garlic, onions, oregano, basil and cumin.’
- ‘As was my feta cheese, which had been marinated in lemon thyme and oregano and came with crispy salad leaves and chargrilled vegetables.’
- ‘With a silent apology, Beth nipped off a few leaves from the potted sage, oregano, and tarragon and chopped them up finely and set them aside.’
- ‘Try it with basil, bay, garlic, thyme, and even oregano to add depth and a subtle perfume to your foods.’
- ‘Many herbs get a head start when planted now, so put in some coriander, fennel, marjoram, oregano and parsley.’
- ‘That said, however, roast lamb can take a variety of flavours, from mint, rosemary and oregano to anchovies, garlic and even coffee.’
- ‘Then a handful of fresh, chopped oregano, thyme, basil and tarragon was added.’
- ‘Thyme, oregano, basil, tarragon, and parsley are all likely contenders for windows with ledges at nose height.’
- ‘Starting from crushed tomatoes, add oregano, basil, thyme, chilies, real Parmesan, fresh garlic and more.’
- ‘I have used everything from cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin to oregano, basil and rosemary and a lot of other herbs in hamburger dishes.’
- ‘Mix together the paprika, dried garlic, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano and thyme in a bowl.’
- ‘While I was out there I pruned back the mint, rosemary and oregano plants which were past their best.’
- ‘Combine with the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.’
- ‘Once the aubergines are cooked, scatter the torn basil, lemon thyme and oregano over the top, and finish by adding a splash of good red wine vinegar.’
- ‘Fill containers with herbs, such as oregano, trailing rosemary, salvias, or thyme.’
Late 18th century: from Spanish, variant of origanum.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.