One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a system of coordinates) the y-coordinate, representing the distance from a point to the horizontal or x-axis measured parallel to the vertical or y-axis.
- ‘The negative and positive signs on the ordinate mean, respectively, underestimation and overestimation of the expected values.’
- ‘Time in minutes is plotted along the abscissa and the cumulative number of responses is plotted on the ordinate.’
- ‘The ordinate indicates additive effects on each trait estimated by interval mapping.’
- ‘Note that in C and D the abscissa and ordinate are swapped for presentation.’
- ‘The ordinate represents yearly expenditures on a constant dollar basis.’
Late 17th century: from Latin linea ordinata applicata ‘line applied parallel’, from ordinare ‘put in order’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.