Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The room used for regimental or company business.
- ‘Corporal Adrian Porter helps Corporal Ben Wright with some administrative matters in the orderly room.’
- ‘Brochures and donation forms should be available at all unit orderly rooms and Corporate Support shopfronts.’
- ‘The squadron orderly room and operations buildings were in the squadron area as was the mess hall and ablutionary - all walking distance from the flight line.’
- ‘The lumber was needed at Istres to build barracks, mess hall, orderly rooms, latrines, clinic, headquarters, and officer and enlisted clubs.’
- ‘He was told to report to the orderly room one day.’
orderly room/ˈôrdərlē ro͝om/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.