One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of elements a, b having the property that (a, b) = (u, v) if and only if a = u, b = v.
- ‘In addition to his work on geometry, Bolyai developed a rigorous geometric concept of complex numbers as ordered pairs of real numbers.’
- ‘On 4 November 1833 Hamilton read a paper to the Royal Irish Academy expressing complex numbers as algebraic couples, or ordered pairs of real numbers.’
- ‘In 1814 Argand had represented the complex numbers as points on the plane, that is as ordered pairs of real numbers.’
- ‘His work in set theory considered a function as a set of ordered pairs and this made the function notion as proposed by Frege, Charles Peirce and Schröder redundant.’
- ‘The first number in the ordered pairs for each outcome is the payoff to the row player, the second number the payoff to the column player.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.