Inflammation of one or both of the testicles.
- ‘Complications include deafness, meningitis and orchitis (inflammation of the testis).’
- ‘A history of orchitis, testicular trauma, or other pathology may be contributory.’
- ‘Other complications are chronic fatigue syndrome, orchitis, and hepatitis.’
- ‘No antecedents of orchitis, infectious disease, or orchidectomy had been recorded in the patients' histories.’
- ‘Mumps in adolescent and adult males may also result in the development of orchitis, an inflammation of the testicles.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek orkhis ‘testicle’ + -itis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.