Surgical removal of one or both testicles.
- ‘His left testicle was removed, by a process known as orchidectomy, because it had a tumour.’
- ‘Alternatively, orchidectomy - surgical removal of both testicles, stops the production of testosterone.’
- ‘No antecedents of orchitis, infectious disease, or orchidectomy had been recorded in the patients' histories.’
- ‘Systemic analgesia or orchidectomy may be required in individual cases.’
- ‘He had to have an orchidectomy and a number of radiotherapy sessions.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin orchido- (from a Latinized stem of Greek orkhis testicle) + -ectomy.