One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A plant with complex flowers that are often showy or bizarrely shaped, having a large specialized lip (labellum) and frequently a spur. Orchids occur worldwide, especially as epiphytes in tropical forests, and are valuable hothouse plants.
Family Orchidaceae: numerous genera and species
- ‘Many tropical orchids are epiphytes, growing on the side of trees, and will not do well if their roots stay wet.’
- ‘This common, damaging pest likes to feed on the roots of Hawaii's colorful and exotic tropical orchids.’
- ‘Only a few epiphyte ferns, orchids and bromeliads have been studied genetically.’
- ‘Because orchids are primarily tropical epiphytes and small herbs, they do not have a fossil record.’
- ‘Other flowers that work well include stephanotis, tulips and orchids.’
- ‘Butterflies and bogflies flutter above and around trefoils, daisies, clovers, sea-pinks and orchids.’
- ‘There were white roses, pink roses, bright yellow sunflowers, lilies, daisies and orchids.’
- ‘Where else can you grow bromeliads and orchids outside by simply hanging them in trees?’
- ‘Blooming plants such as orchids and kalanchoe need more light than palms.’
- ‘Meanwhile, a large number of plants, such as orchids and sandalwood, have been smuggled into domestic and overseas markets.’
- ‘To maintain the supply of orchids and tropical plants, the company has a tissue culture lab that can produce two to three million plants a year.’
- ‘The venue is a hotel resort set in a lush tropical garden overflowing with orchids and other native flowers.’
- ‘Bamboos, ferns, bromeliads, epiphytes and orchids will all thrive in this microclimate.’
- ‘Flowering epiphytes - bromeliads, orchids and cacti - are presented most commonly.’
- ‘Use the shelf created by the window for an orchid or another tropical plant.’
- ‘Certain plants such as orchids and some varieties of bromeliads will do best in mediums made especially for them.’
- ‘The plants that he uses include ferns, bromeliads, orchids and palm trees.’
- ‘Lady slippers and some kinds of cymbidium are terrestrial orchids.’
- ‘The next phase will be completed by next July, which will then include up to 10,000 plant species from banana plants to rare orchids.’
- ‘Sales of orchids and other tropical plants amount to a huge export industry.’
- 1.1 The flowering stem of a cultivated orchid.
- ‘Anthuriums, orchids and lilies remain unspoilt for at least 10 to 15 days.’
- ‘The church people gave out corsages to the mothers, and of course the flower pinned to the leaf was an orchid.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Orchid(ac)eae, formed irregularly from Latin orchis (see orchis).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.