One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pasture grass with broad leaves and green or purplish flowering spikes.
Dactylis glomerata, family GramineaeBritish term cocksfoot
- ‘The majority of their diet should be free-choice grass hays such as timothy, orchard grass or brome.’
- ‘The most common cool-season grasses are orchard grass, smooth brome, meadow brome and creeping foxtail.’
- ‘‘I've planted a number of grasses, like brome, timothy, perennial rye and annual rye, orchard grass and fescue,’ he notes.’
- ‘Our experience is that this orchard grass will try to start regrowing in three days.’
- ‘Pull up to the big cottonwood tree in the middle of the ranch and you'll see a herd of cattle munching contentedly on orchard grass, fescue, strawberry clover and other cool-season species.’
- ‘The best source of fiber is hay, such as timothy, alfalfa, oat, or orchard grass.’
- ‘The dominant forage is orchard grass, with some quack, brome, blue grass and assorted other species.’
- ‘When Leila was seven years old, her stepfather ran out of fuel when mowing, leaving a large rectangle of unmown orchard grass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.