Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A spacecraft designed to go into orbit, especially one not intended to land.Compare with lander
- ‘It comprises a large orbiter, which is designed to operate for a decade at large distances from the Sun, and a small lander.’
- ‘‘Given the current design of the orbiter, there was no possibility for the crew to survive,’ it added.’
- ‘This smart software can be used on all kinds of spacecraft, including orbiters, landers and rovers.’
- ‘Cassini has begun to transmit data from the Huygens transmitters aboard the orbiter!’
- ‘Not since 1976 had twin rovers landed on Mars, and never before had five spacecraft - three orbiters in addition to the rovers - simultaneously surveyed the Red Planet.’
- ‘The descent profile provides the important link between measurements made by instruments on the Huygens probe and the Cassini orbiter.’
- ‘But, once again, the orbiter failed to pick up a signal from the lander, ESA officials announced.’
- ‘The discovery was made by nearly all of the Cassini orbiter's instruments acting in concert.’
- ‘He later directed the development and testing of the space shuttle orbiter.’
- ‘If it performs well, similar cameras placed on orbiters of the future would be able to serve as high-precision interplanetary ‘eyes’ to guide incoming spacecraft to the planet.’
- ‘In other instances, an orbiter or a spacecraft on a flyby mission may have already taken photographs of a moon or planet.’
- ‘The orbiter will separate and become a satellite after the command module returns to earth.’
- ‘The program would start with lunar orbiters, which would be followed by landers and rovers, and eventually sample return missions.’
- ‘It consists of two parts - the Cassini orbiter and the Huygens probe.’
- ‘The plan will also position the Cassini orbiter farther away during that descent.’
- ‘These missions include a variety of orbiters, landers, rovers, and sample-return missions, which will allow scientists to answer additional questions about the history and future of Mars.’
- ‘They were extensively photographed by lunar orbiters and Apollo astronauts.’
- ‘The orbiter spacecraft will send Beagle 2 spinning towards the planet on a precise trajectory.’
- ‘The orbiter has been swooping above and below the plane of Saturn's rings to study their fine structure up close.’
- ‘They may involve several independent elements, such as orbiters, sub-satellites, landers, rovers, penetrators, airborne robots, planetary ascent vehicles or re-entry vehicles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.