Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An edible roughy, much prized for its white flesh. Found in deep waters of temperate oceans worldwide, its reddish body turns orange after being exposed to air.
- ‘The ones that have the largest concentrations of mercury are then shark, ray, swordfish, barramundi, gemfish, orange roughy, ling, and southern bluefin tuna.’
- ‘For instance, the orange roughy can live 150 years, and takes 25 to 30 years to reach sexual maturity.’
- ‘More recently, large concentrations of orange roughy were uncovered on seamounts off Australia and New Zealand, and just as immediately decimated.’
- ‘They will say they can cope with orange roughy only.’
- ‘One theory suggests that an increase in deep-sea fishing - of orange roughy in particular - has disturbed the giant-squid habitat.’
- ‘I remember chairing that first select committee when Maori made such a claim, and my question to them was: ‘What was the Maori name for orange roughy?’’
- ‘Positive conservation measures, however, will be presented to the council to limit catches of deepwater species such as the orange roughy, black scabbardfish and forkbeard off the continental shelf to the West of Scotland.’
- ‘We know that Maori made up a name for orange roughy when it was discovered in the 1980s, and perhaps there is a similar explanation in this case.’
- ‘Marlin, orange roughy, monkfish and swordfish as well as shark are on its list.’
- ‘Meanwhile, over-fishing has lead to a dwindling supply of certain species, including shrimp, sword-fish, grouper, orange roughy and scallops.’
- ‘For example, Drazen said, orange roughy can live for up to 125 years, rockfish up to 100 years, and rattail fish about 70 years.’
- ‘I would come into New Zealand, trawl for sea snails, and accidentally catch 20 tonnes of orange roughy, scampi, or whatever it is that happens to be valuable.’
- ‘The annual catches of some of these now-popular varieties, such as the species marketed as Chilean sea bass and orange roughy, have already declined significantly, according to data cited in Boston and in other scientific reports.’
- ‘But deep-water species such as the monkfish and the orange roughy are at risk, as it can take decades before a fish is old enough to breed.’
- ‘I look at some other fish, such as the swordfish, the Arrow squid, snapper, orange roughy, or even the big-eyed tuna, at $791,000.’
- ‘Britain and France are set to clash in tense talks on Thursday, over the rules for catching deep sea species such as the orange roughy, the round-nosed grenadier and the leafscale gulper shark.’
- ‘Deep-sea creatures such as orange roughy and Chilean sea bass have slower life cycles than those in the shallows, and have proven especially vulnerable to over fishing.’
- ‘Chilean and Japanese scientists have carried out a joint research cruise aimed at evaluating the biomass of the orange roughy, one of the top seafood products in both the USA and Japan.’
- ‘Annual catches by French vessels in Rockall peaked at 3500 tonnes in 1991, but have since fallen to fewer than 500 tonnes as stocks of orange roughy are rapidly depleted.’
- ‘Commercial fishing around biologically rich seamounts has led to the collapse of some stocks, including the orange roughy, according to a report published by conservation organizations based in Europe.’
- 1.1The flesh of the orange roughy as food.
- ‘The best options include lean beef, skinless chicken breasts, lean turkey, egg whites, salmon and orange roughy.’
- ‘As for the main course, the menu is long and ambitious, at least in terms of the types of fish available: halibut, salmon, orange roughy, and ahi tuna among others, all of which are grilled or pan-fried.’
- ‘Dinner alternates nightly between fish, like seared orange roughy, and poultry, like chicken breast with polenta.’
- ‘I really enjoy orange roughy, though it has an oil that's hard for me to absorb if I eat too much of it.’
- ‘Its expansive menu includes selections from around the world, including French braised lamb shank with sauce provençal, multi-ethnic curries and South African orange roughy.’
- ‘Among Manning's favorite foods are salmon and orange roughy, which she eats four times a week, plus soy, spinach and green and black teas.’
- ‘Yes, well swordfish and orange roughy are commonly available in Australia.’
- ‘I'm the biggest fan of orange roughy because it's the only fish that doesn't taste fishy.’
- ‘Try salmon, mackerel, sardines, orange roughy, trout, sushi-grade tuna or any other fish that tends to produce a lot of oil during cooking.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.