One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ability to express oneself fluently and grammatically in speech.
- ‘It has given shape to much of the Western world's inheritance of oracy and literacy.’
- ‘And we're offering the students a program which not only develops their writing but their oracy from the beginning of schooling.’
- ‘It is in this context of the various communicative competencies required for electronic production and consumption that the term ‘literacy’ (or for that matter ‘oracy’) is questionable.’
- ‘She says research by the program's originators, Brian Gray and Wendy Cowie, at the University of Canberra, indicates that written English is a vehicle and means of improving children's oracy.’
- ‘There are low levels of English literacy and oracy in many cases.’
1960s: from Latin os, or- ‘mouth’, on the pattern of literacy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.