One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually with negative or in questions Added as a general reference to other things similar to the thing mentioned.‘no strings attached, you don't have to join up or anything’
- ‘I have tonnes of schoolwork, but no more solo trips to universities or anything.’
- ‘You don't need to endorse them or anything, because if the votes are fair they'll win hands down.’
- ‘I would recommend the movie but not vote it as best of the year or anything crazy like that.’
- ‘We were one of the first bands to go on tour without a record contract or anything.’
- ‘I was meant to have a stress free weekend with no band practices or anything.’
- ‘Not that I know anything about Tibetan music or anything, but that is what this reminds me of.’
- ‘Not that I was hoping to get a five hundred quid bike off the insurance or anything, you understand.’
- ‘Thankfully people that have seen us haven't hated us enough to throw beer bottles or anything!’
- ‘I'm not ashamed of it or anything, but I wonder what I'm supposed to be waving a flag at.’
- ‘He wasn't the type to show off or anything and he was so meticulous about doing everything properly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.