One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Great wealth or luxuriousness.‘rooms of spectacular opulence’
luxuriousness, sumptuousness, lavishness, richness, lushness, luxury, luxuriance, splendour, magnificence, grandeur, splendidness, grandiosity, costliness, fancinesswealth, affluence, wealthiness, richness, riches, prosperity, prosperousness, money, fortune, deep pocketsView synonyms
- ‘The woman smiled with ambivalence and walked in, surveying the familiar opulence of his house, the shrine to his success.’
- ‘Despite its opulence, however, Zhang's house pales by comparison to that of his cousin, Zhang Shiming.’
- ‘But all is not quite as it seems - and despite the opulence of her wedding preparations, Felicia has some hard choices to make.’
- ‘I was stunned by the opulence of Grand Central Station - I never imagined a public building could be so well-kept and clean.’
- ‘Out in the warm, sea-scented evening, a stroll through the town shows that the opulence of the Palais is matched by other huge houses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.