One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cuplike outgrowth of the brain of an embryo that develops into the retina.
- ‘The neural retina of zebrafish, as in other vertebrates, arises from cells that line the optic cup.’
- ‘Next, the lens placode buds into the space within the optic cup to form the embryonic lens.’
- ‘Cell division also occurs at the distal margin of the optic cup, a region known as the ciliary marginal zone.’
- ‘The first transplantation experiments were carried out reciprocally between surface fish and Pachon cavefish: a surface fish lens was transplanted into a cavefish optic cup and vice versa.’
- ‘However, the cavefish eye seems to develop normally up to about the hatching stage, forming a lens and optic cup.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.