One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make (a foreign cell) more susceptible to phagocytosis.
- ‘In humans and animals only M protein typespecific antibodies have the capacity to opsonize streptococci and to override the anti-phagocytic property of M protein.’
- ‘The percentage of GAS opsonized was determined by counting the number of colonies growing after incubation with test immune sera and comparing this with the number of colonies growing after incubation with control sera.’
- ‘The role of B-cells in the immune response is to release antibodies that may opsonize a particular cell and assist T-cells in destruction of that cell.’
- ‘It opsonised GAS with an average percentage opsonisation of 46 and 50 per cent, respectively.’
- ‘Three-micrometer latex beads were opsonized with human immunoglobulin G.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.