One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or group that oppresses people.‘they overthrew their colonial oppressors’
persecutor, tyrant, despot, autocrat, bully, slave-driver, hard taskmaster, iron hand, scourge, dictator, tormentor, torturer, intimidator, subjugatorView synonyms
- ‘Every tyrant and every oppressor deserve the full wrath of justice.’
- ‘They have fostered a view of police officers as bullies and oppressors not to be cooperated with.’
- ‘That guns can and have been used by the oppressed to ward off their oppressors suggests that they can be a tool’
- ‘Some readers also doubted that the Scots see the English as oppressors.’
- ‘The oppressed and brutalized have become the brutal oppressors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.