Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person or group that oppresses people.‘they overthrew their colonial oppressors’
persecutor, tyrant, despot, autocrat, bully, slave-driver, hard taskmaster, iron hand, scourge, dictator, tormentor, torturer, intimidator, subjugatorView synonyms
- ‘The oppressed and brutalized have become the brutal oppressors.’
- ‘Every tyrant and every oppressor deserve the full wrath of justice.’
- ‘That guns can and have been used by the oppressed to ward off their oppressors suggests that they can be a tool’
- ‘They have fostered a view of police officers as bullies and oppressors not to be cooperated with.’
- ‘Some readers also doubted that the Scots see the English as oppressors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.