One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of the thumb of a primate) capable of moving toward and touching the other digits on the same hand.
- ‘Digits 1 and 2 on the forefeet are opposable to digits 3-5, and the hindfoot has a well-developed hallux.’
- ‘In other words, our ancestral rodents did not merely evolve gradually until they emerged as bipeds with opposable thumbs.’
- ‘A panda with a fully opposable thumb that is lacking in its nearest relatives is hard to explain via evolution.’
- ‘The first 2 digits of their forefeet are opposable to the other three in the more arboreal species.’
- ‘Their hands had only three digits: two fingers and an opposable thumb.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.