One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of the thumb of a primate) capable of moving toward and touching the other digits on the same hand.
- ‘Digits 1 and 2 on the forefeet are opposable to digits 3-5, and the hindfoot has a well-developed hallux.’
- ‘A panda with a fully opposable thumb that is lacking in its nearest relatives is hard to explain via evolution.’
- ‘Their hands had only three digits: two fingers and an opposable thumb.’
- ‘In other words, our ancestral rodents did not merely evolve gradually until they emerged as bipeds with opposable thumbs.’
- ‘The first 2 digits of their forefeet are opposable to the other three in the more arboreal species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.