One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The taking of opportunities as and when they arise, regardless of planning or principle.‘he was accused of political opportunism’
expediency, exploitation, taking advantage, machiavellianism, manoeuvring, pragmatism, realism, unscrupulousnessView synonyms
- ‘It hopes to cash in on a difficult situation - but its display of grisly opportunism appears only to have annoyed local residents.’
- ‘Regardless of the opportunism, the Stones are still the greatest rock show on earth.’
- ‘It appears that switching parties is the worst form of opportunism.’
- ‘Jeremy tells an epic tale of money, greed, opportunism and blind chance.’
- ‘For them it was nothing more than pure political opportunism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.