One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Paralysis of the muscles within or surrounding the eye.
- ‘Chronic alcoholics are at risk of Wernicke's encephalopathy, in which delirium becomes complicated by ataxia and ophthalmoplegia.’
- ‘This is the first time that such a damaged enzyme - a DNA synthesis enzyme - has been shown to play a role in a degenerative disease, in this case a condition called progressive external ophthalmoplegia.’
- ‘The patient was observed until approximately 20 months later, when he developed new complaints of a 4.5-kg weight loss, bone and joint pain, and ophthalmoplegia.’
- ‘The latter would not explain the possible ophthalmoplegia and difficulty with ambulation, however.’
- ‘Cranial nerve musculature is less involved, and ophthalmoplegia is rare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.